Carbon Monoxide: Take the Proper Steps to Detect There are many potential gases that may be present in your home. Natural gas, radon, and gases and vapors that can come from such items as household furnishings, carpeting, flooring and paints. But nothing is as hazardous as carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide could be a matter of life and death, so it should not be treated lightly. What is extremely concerning is that it is hard to detect because it is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and initially non-irritating. A by-product of burnt fuel, carbon monoxide can manuveur its way into your home when the heat exchanger on a gas furnace cracks, allowing carbon monoxide to leak. Depending on how big the leak is and the circulation in a home, carbon monoxide can lead to death very quickly, or it could cause symptoms that have been misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections, and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other things. It is important to not risk carbon monoxide poisoning. Here’s what you can do: If you don’t have a carbon monoxide detector in your home, call Knochelmann Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Sharonville to purchase one. Ask our technicians about affordable WiFi carbon monoxide detectors like the Nest Protect. If you have a carbon monoxide detector, be sure to regularly check or replace the batteries. Testing should be done every 90 days, and the detector should be replaced every 3 to 5 years. If you hear the carbon monoxide detector alarm go off, or start having some of the symptoms listed above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be scary and with the proper steps you can protect your family from its dangers. Our experts can provide more information, so go ahead and call Knochelmann Service Experts in Sharonville at 513-273-5771 to learn more.